Our internship program is open to undergraduates in the fields of psychology, social work, counseling, and any other human services related field. This program offers students an opportunity to partake in supporting community based mental health services as well as gaining experience in office administration, and an immersive exposure to an Islamically oriented mental health center.
This program includes:
- Training and participation in Khalil Centers Crisis Hotline
- Creation and implementation of 1-2 community based outreach programs
- Research and training both in mental health and Islamic spirituality
- Hands on experience in how a mental health practice works and the role of various providers in a community mental health setting.
Undergraduate Internships are either a 3 month summer commitment or a 12 month year long commitment of at least 8 hours per week. Interested applicants should contact the director of training, Dr. Sarah Syed via email firstname.lastname@example.org with an attached CV & Cover letter for an interview. Applications for both summer and year long internships are accepted starting in March. At this time, we are unable to sponsor international students or provide accommodations for interns.
Master's Level Internship/Practicum
Khalil Center offers an integrative graduate internship program for master’s students of clinical psychology, counseling, and social work. Spirituality and psychological practices are combined in our approach to individual counseling, and serving the needs the broader Muslim community. The program follows a set curriculum, and incorporates a variety of opportunities in the field of mental health services. Interns are also encouraged to introduce new services and ideas to KC’s programming.
Our program has many advantages including:
- Weekly individual and group supervision
- Individual, family, and group therapy
- Research and training
- Didactics and case conceptualizations
- Community outreach services
- Development and presentation of seminars and workshops
- College and Islamic schools wellness programming
- A commitment of 20 hours a week
- Dress professionally and Islamically appropriate (long and loose fitting clothing, beard for males and observing hijab specifically for women)
- Participate and take on responsibilities in Khalil Center’s meetings and activities (outside of therapy services)
- Incorporate Islamic traditions into counseling practices
Students will be assigned to a particular KC site/office location and provided a caseload by their supervisor. This may be changed intermittently based on client and/or student needs. Graduate level trainees are expected to commit for one full training year, 9 months to 12 months based on their accumulation of hours. Interested candidates should send their CV, cover letter, 2 letters of reference, and an unofficial transcript to the Director of Clinical Training, Dr. Sarah Syed, SarahSyed@khalilcenter.com. Applications for internship & practicum are accepted in the spring for the following training year. At this time, only students enrolled in a graduate program in the US are eligible for practicum/graduate internship.
Doctoral Level Internship/Practicum
Khalil Center offers doctoral diagnostic and therapy practicums. To apply for a doctoral practicum please email Dr Sarah Syed (email@example.com) with a cover letter and CV, two letters of recommendation and an unofficial transcript.
Khalil Center is part of Illinois Psychological Association Predoctoral Internship Consortium (IPAPIC) and APPIC-approved site for doctoral level internship. All applications must be submitted via APPIC system. Information about the program/consortium is available at ipapic.com
*** At this time, the Chicago office is no longer accepting applications for graduate internship/practicum for the 2020-2021 academic year. Interested undergraduate students may apply for an undergraduate internship.
***Our NYC office is not taking any intern positions.
***Bay area applicants: Please email Sameera Siddiqui: CAadmin@
*** Toronto applicants, please email your CV and cover letter expressing interest, vulnerable sector screening police check, and your graduate transcripts to ToAdmin@khalilcenter.com. Applications are being accepted for the 2020-2021 academic year. 3 graduate interns will be accepted for September 2020-April 2021, the last day to apply is July 30th.