Our internship program is open to undergraduates in the fields of clinical psychology, social work, counseling, and any other human services related field. This program offers students an opportunity to partake in community based mental health services as well as gain in experience in office administration, and learn more about the work done at Khalil Center.
This program includes:
· Training and participation in Khalil Centers Crisis Hotline
· Creation and implementation of 1-2 community based outreach programs
· Research and training both in mental health and Islamic spirituality
· Hands on experience in how a mental health practice works and the role of various providers
Undergraduate Internships are either a 3 month summer commitment or a 12 month year long commitment of at least 8 hours per week. Interested applicants should contact the director of training, Dr. Sarah Syed via email email@example.com with an attached CV & Cover letter for an interview. Applications for both summer and year long internships are accepted starting in March. At this time, we are unable to sponsor international students or provide accommodations for interns.
Master’s Level Internship/Practicum:
Khalil Center offers an integrative graduate internship program for master’s students of clinical psychology, counseling, and social work. Spirituality and psychological practices are combined in our approach to counseling, and understanding the needs of individuals as well as communities. The program follows a set curriculum, and incorporates a variety of opportunities in the field of mental health services. Interns are also encouraged to introduce new services and ideas to our curriculum.
Our program has many advantages including:
· Weekly individual and group supervision
· Individual, family, and group therapy
· Research and training
· Didactics and case conceptualizations
· Community outreach services
· Development and presentation of seminars and workshops
· College and Islamic schools wellness programming
· A commitment of 20 hours a week
· Dress professionally and Islamically (long and loose clothing, observing hijab for women)
· Participate and take on responsibilities in Khalil Center’s meetings and activities (outside of therapy services)
· Incorporate Islamic traditions into counseling practices
Students will be assigned their site and caseload by their supervisor and this may be changed based on client and/or student needs. Graduate level trainees are expected to commit for one full training year, 9 months or 12 months based on their accumulation of hours. Interested candidates should send their CV, cover letter, 2 letters of reference, and an unofficial transcript to the Director of Clinical Training, Dr. Sarah Syed, SarahSyed@khalilcenter.com. Applications for internship & practicum are accepted in the spring for the following training year. At this time, only students enrolled in a graduate program in the US are eligible for practicum/graduate internship.
Doctoral Level Internship/Practicum:
Khalil Center can offer practicum at doctoral level for assessment/testing as well as therapy. For practicum placement, please email Dr Sarah Syed (firstname.lastname@example.org) with a cover letter and CV.
Khalil Center is part of Illinois Psychological Association Predoctoral Internship Consortium (IPAPIC) and APPIC-approved site for doctoral level internship. All applications must be submitted via APPIC system. Information about the program/consortium is available at ipapic.com
*** At this time, the Chicago office is no longer accepting applications for internship for the 2019-2020 academic year. Applications will be accepted again in March 2020 for the 2020-2021 academic year. Graduate students applying for practicum/clinical internships can email Dr. Syed for information after January 2020.
***Our NYC office is not taking any intern positions.
***Please email CAadmin@khalilcenter.com if you are an undergraduate student interested in an administrative internship or have at least a masters degree and looking for a clinical internship at our Bay Area office.