Dr. Khalid Elzamzamy is a Clinical Fellow in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at Hamad Medical Corporation, Qatar, where he completed his psychiatry residency training. He holds a Master’s Degree in Islamic Thought and Applied Ethics from Hamad Bin Khalifa University, Qatar. He serves as a Research Fellow at the Family and Youth Institute (www.thefyi.org).
Dr. Khalid Elzamzamy
- MBBCh - Ain Shams University
- Psychiatry Residency - Hamad Medical Corp., Qatar
- MA in Islamic Studies - Hamad Bin Khalifa University, Qatar
research interests/ specialities
- The intersection between spirituality, religion, and mental health.
- Ethics in clinical practice
- Muslim historical contributions to psychology and mental health.
- Public mental health.
- Elzamzamy, K., Alsiddiqi, A., Khalil, A., Elamin, H., Karim, M. A., & Wadoo, O. (2020). Newspaper depiction of mental and physical health in Qatar. BJPsych International, 1-4.
- Elzamzamy, K., Wadoo, O. (2020). Media and mental health in Qatar. In Haque, A., Gilstrap, L. L., Ghuloum, S. (Eds.). (2020). Mental Health in Qatar: Challenges and Prospects. Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Elzamzamy, K., Salem, M. O. (2020). Dreams and their role in Islamically integrated mental health practice. In Keshavarzi. H., Khan, F., Awaad, R., Ali, B. (Eds.), Applying Islamic Principles to Clinical Mental Health Care: Introducing Traditional Islamically Integrated Psychotherapy.
- Elzamzamy, K., & Keshavarzi, H. (2019). Navigating ethical dilemmas in mental health practice between professional ethics and Islamic values. Journal of Islamic Faith and Practice, 2(1), 40-71.
- Altalib, H. H., Elzamzamy, K., Fattah, M., Ali, S. S., & Awaad, R. (2019). Mapping global Muslim mental health research: analysis of trends in the English literature from 2000 to 2015. Global Mental Health, 6.
- Malik, S., Khan. Y. S., Elzamzamy, K., Sahl, R., Nazeer, A. (2019). Genetics of Autism Spectrum Disorder: An Update. Psychiatric Annals. 49(3):109-114.
- Awaad, R., Mohammad, A., Elzamzamy, K., Fereydooni, S., & Gamar, M. (2019). Mental Health in the Islamic Golden Era: The Historical Roots of Modern Psychiatry. In Moffic, H. S., Peteet, J., Hankir, A. Z., & Awaad, R. (Eds.), Islamophobia and Psychiatry. Springer.
- Elzamzamy, K. Psychological Disorders (2019). In Lambert, L., & Pasha-Zaidi, N. (Eds.), An Introduction to Psychology for the Middle East (and Beyond). Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Altalib, H. H., Elzamzamy, K., Pugh, M. J., Gonzalez, J. B., Cheung, K. H., Fenton, B. T., Kerns, R. D., Brandt, C. A., & LaFrance, W. C. (2016). Communicating diagnostic certainty of psychogenic nonepileptic seizures—a national study of provider documentation. Epilepsy & Behavior, 64, 4-8.