Muslim Mental Health First Response Certification Training
This is an 8 hour hands-on training designed to prepare chaplains, community leaders and Islamic clergy: Termed ‘First Responders’ to effectively understand and effectively respond to psycho-social issues among American Muslims.
Saturday, September 12, 2020 12:00PM – 4:00PM (EDT)
Module 1: Introduction to Islamically integrated counseling & Muslim Mental Health
Subtopics within Module 1:
- 1a: Introduction to MMH & Collaborative Care
- 1b: An Islamic model of understanding mental illness and treatment (Usually a simplified version of TIIP presentation)
Module 2: Fundamentals of forming the Counseling Relationship and Ethical/Boundary considerations
- 2a: Roles, Boundaries, ethical considerations
- 2b: Fundamentals/Basic counseling/empathic listening techniques
Sunday September 13, 2020 12:00PM – 4:00PM (EDT)
Module 3: Identifying mental illness, and Crisis Response
- 3a: Identifying problems (i.e. an intro to the major diagnostic categories and explaining what they are)
- 3b: Crisis intervention 15 min break
- 3c: Responding to Suicidal congregants (b & c usually go together, so whoever does this one, should do both).
- End of Training Discussion with Q&A (30 min)