The Khalil Center is a qualified 501(c)(3) not-for-profit spiritual wellness center advancing the practice of professional psychology rooted in Islamic principles. Using a holistic approach, our clinic aims to integrate cultural and spiritual competence in traditional psychological methodology. We are working to combat the stigmas surrounding mental health with an approach that both acknowledges and incorporates an individual’s own cultural and religious background when designing their treatment plan. Our staff hopes to embody the meaning of the word Khalil (a very close and dear companion) to each client, and believe that it is our duty to show concern, intervene, empathize and safeguard the individuals in our community from suffering through deep compassion.
We are looking for a volunteer intern who can reliably support us in general office management tasks. This intern will report to the Office Manager and will assist in keeping the Khalil Center staff and office locations organized.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Our intern will be responsible of
- Representing Khalil Center as a psychological and spiritual wellness initiative that is rooted in the classical Islamic tradition
- Preserving client confidentiality in and outside of the office
- Answering phone calls and providing information regarding our services to interested parties
- Helping create a folder of standard operating procedures for future staff and interns
- Compiling packets that will be provided to new clients during intake sessions
- Attending and maintaining a professional demeanor while representing Khalil Center at different outreach engagements – either with or on behalf of the Outreach Coordinator
- Scoring different assessments that have been administered to our clients during the course of treatment
- Entering data and confidential client information into our new Redcap system
- Assisting in event management
- Collaborating with our Office Manager, Clinical Director, or other relevant staff members on future projects
- If interested, being trained as a peer counselor for our newly established crisis hotline
Qualifications and Skills:
The ideal intern
- Has an understanding of the Bay Area Muslim community and general Islamic etiquettes, customs, and practices
- Has an interest in mental health advocacy and learning more about our approach to counseling and psychotherapy
- Is detail oriented and has impeccable written and verbal communication skills
- Is able to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Thrives while working independently or with a team
- Is responsible and capable of returning phone calls or emails in a timely fashion
- Has previous administrative experience
- An average of 15-20 hours of volunteer work per week, with some weeks requiring more time than others
- Hours will be flexible and will vary week by week based on organization’s needs
- Interns will perform duties on-site at our Union City location, and will attend Khalil Center events or meetings in person as needed
- Please note that this is an unpaid 6-12 month internship. Interns will be compensated through hands-on experience in a professional, clinical setting.
- The Khalil Center is open to supervising this intern for academic units in a college or school setting, if applicable.
- If possible, interns will be invited to attend Khalil Center trainings, seminars or workshops free of charge for their own learning and benefit