Social Media Intern
The Khalil Center is a qualified 501(c)(3) not-for-profit spiritual wellness center advancing the practice of professional psychology rooted in Islamic principles. Using a holistic approach, our clinic aims to integrate cultural and spiritual competence in traditional psychological methodology. We are working to combat the stigmas surrounding mental health with an approach that both acknowledges and incorporates an individual’s own cultural and religious background when designing their treatment plan. Our staff hopes to embody the meaning of the word Khalil (a very close and dear companion) to each client, and believe that it is our duty to show concern, intervene, empathize and safeguard the individuals in our community from suffering through deep compassion.
We are looking for a volunteer intern who can reliably support us in cultivating our social media presence. This intern will be responsible for producing and sharing content that is relevant to our space and the services we provide across a variety of platforms. This intern will have the opportunity to work for both the Khalil Center and the Muslims and Mental Health Lab at Stanford University.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Our social media intern will be responsible of
- Representing both organizations as psychological and spiritual wellness initiatives that are rooted in the classical Islamic tradition
- Sharing relevant content across social media channels that align with the messaging and values of each organization
- Abiding by the Social Media guidelines for each organization
- Occasionally creating graphics to publicize each center and its events and services
- Engaging with each social media audience in order to network or build community between the staff and interested parties
- Collaborating with the Office Manager, Outreach Coordinator, Clinical Director, or other relevant staff members regarding event promotion
- Maintaining a professional demeanor while representing each organization at different outreach engagements
- Corresponding with relevant staff members to obtain photography and information regarding special events, as needed for social media publications.
- Assisting in other office management type tasks as needed
Qualifications and Skills:
The ideal intern
- Has an understanding of the Bay Area Muslim community and general Islamic etiquettes, customs, and practices
- Has an interest in mental health advocacy and learning more about our approach to counseling and psychotherapy
- Is detail oriented and has impeccable written communication skills
- Is able to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Thrives while working independently or with a team
- Has previous marketing or public relations experience
- Has ideas for future marketing strategies and how to get the community more actively involved
- Is an experienced and active social media user, specifically in regards to Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Is proficient in graphic design and knows their way around Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, or Photoshop
- Is comfortable with a camera and capable of taking clear and captivating photographs of different events and outreach engagements
- An average of 15-20 hours of volunteer work per week, with some weeks requiring more time than others, e.g. for photography and marketing of special events such as seminars, open houses, or fundraisers
- Hours will be flexible and will vary week by week based on organization’s social media needs
- Social Media Intern may perform duties off-site from home, and will attend Khalil Center events or meetings in person as needed
- Please note that this is an unpaid 12 month internship. Interns will be compensated through hands-on experience in a professional, clinical setting.
- The Khalil Center is open to supervising this intern for academic units in a college or school setting, if applicable.
- If possible, interns will be invited to attend Khalil Center trainings, seminars or workshops free of charge for their own learning and benefit